Monday, December 24, 2007

The Greatest Gift Of All

My Lovely Bride got up early today to go to work. She is a hardworking woman, a dedicated employee, a model for all who have worked with and for her over the years.

I, on the other hand, had the day off, and was disturbed only by her preparations for the day. And then, as I lay there in that perfect moment at the intersection of sleep, wakefulness, and the knowledge of more sleep to come, I felt a pillow cover my face. Oh, I thought, my wife is going to suffocate me. This must be what a dog feels like when it's being put to sleep.

I didn't struggle or resist. I gazed up at the pillow in acceptance. Finally I realized she'd simply been trying to block my eyes from the light.

Easy come, easy go, I thought and drifted back to sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

merry christmas to you too!

Jennifer said...

If only we could live in that crepuscule of sleep.

You know, I've used that line about blocking the light before... Grizzled usually believes me. :)

I know you don't celebrate it, but Merry Christmas, Snag!!!

Anonymous said...

And so begins Mrs. Snag's Christmas wish for Santa:

A divorce
A new daddy for the Snaglettes.

fish said...

Life is disappointment.