Wednesday, June 10, 2009

When Bad Things Happen

It's been a hectic summer so far, even though instead of coaching baseball I'm playing the role of Least Attractive Team Parent. Lots of sports, lots of work, lots of everything. It's all good.

Except for my friend E.'s wife getting cancer. I should say my friend V. getting cancer, because she's my friend just as much. We go to their cabin on July 4th and their house on Christmas, they come to our house on Thanksgiving, we're not really friends at this point, more like family.

Things look good. The surgery's done and the prognosis is positive. "Take care of yourself and you'll live a long time," V.'s doctor told her.

"Take care of yourself," her husband told her.

"Take care of yourself," my Lovely Bride told her.

"Take care of yourself," I told her.

"Take care of yourself," everyone who loves her told her.

That's a lot of people. She's well loved. Opinionated, more than occasionally profane, she puts school lunch money in the accounts of kids who need it.

"What the fuck else would I do?" she asked one night.

She doesn't know.

Which, of course, is why we love her.

9 comments:

NĂ¡mo Mandos said...

Hugs to V. from pseudonymous internet commenter she's never heard of. A crazy lot of this kind of thing happened in my life this year. It seems to happen in clumps. One year everyone is well and things are hunky dory, and then another year it seems like everyone is getting diseases.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Sorry to hear that. Good wishes and I will spare some brainz, if needed.

Jennifer said...

Good wishes, indeed.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Her attitude sounds healthy and will help her through this journey. All the best to her and if there is anything I can do, just let me know.

And if you or she should me some nice Jewish doctors or lawyers along the way who are single and not crazy, therein lies the rub, please send them AG's way.

;)

fish said...

To quote (I think) Jennifer's sister:

Fuck cancer. It is a shameless thief.

Kathleen said...

yay for surgery. I think a compendium of animal alphabet would help with the recovery.

Brando said...

I hope things stay positive, Snag. Best wishes to your friend -- she's got a great support staff.

Karla said...

I've had cancer - advanced - twice in the last 6 years - and I believe that all of the taking care of myself I did didn't help as much as being cared for in ways too countless uh, to count, by friends and family. They surrounded me with love, jokes, silliness, bravery, food, visits, laughter. It was a time of feeling that I was valued as much as a beloved child is valued. When in our adult life to we get that? Take the time. Care for her. Care for yourselves. Connect, connect, connect!

Snag said...

Thank you Karla. That's good advice and I'll listen to it.