Saturday, March 15, 2008

I Can't Hear You

I got my new pair of headphones yesterday. The timing wasn't great; I'm due to leave on my annual extended slog around the countryside tomorrow and the ability to block out my immediate environment is not as important when I'm hundreds of miles from my family.

My oldest hates them. "You look dumber than usual," he said when I put them on.

"I do not. I look like Quincy Jones."

"If you wear those in public I'll kill you," he told me.

"I'd have bought them years ago if I'd known you'd put me out of my misery," I replied.

He went to get my Lovely Bride. She stood at the top of the stairs looking down at me.

"What were you thinking?" she asked. I think. I couldn't hear her over the music.

Later, when the kids were in bed, she asked me the same question. "Why did you need new headphones?"

"It's like running away from home. Except I don't have to pay child support."

She studied me for a moment and then returned to her book. "Fair enough," she said.

Which is why I'll never run away for real.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love a pair like that. I have the exactly half-price ass Sony's like those, two things being key: old school stretchy phone cord cord and old school noise "cencellation" via over-ear fashionability. I love how the kids aren't quite old enough to realize that the epitome of cool are a pair of gigantic vintage studio-headphones that block out the world and don't sound like tinny pieces of shit that plug directly into your brain.

I am more jealous of Snag than ever.

Anonymous said...

i wish i could get a pair of sennheisers. those things are bad-ass.

fish said...

Those would be great if I hadn't destroyed most of the dynamic range of my hearing through years of abuse. Two advantages of that though, iPod earphones have 3X the range of my actual ears and now, in order for me to hear the TV, it needs to be so loud my kids can't possibly speak over it.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I have no use for headphones.

everyone within earshot SHOULD be able to hear the music I'm playing; as an IMS, it's obviously much better than whatever they think they're doing at the current moment.

And if they make noise I can hear, there's always 11.

Although plugging music directly into my brain definitely sounds (hah! Sounds! Get it?) extremely cool. I, for one, welcome our oncoming digital dystopia.

Anonymous said...

The Sennheisers are great, but I bet my Hiel Sound Pro Set Plus will rank close (especially around loud racing engines). The Hiel even has a boom mike which is switchable left/right side and communications/normal function.

Righteous Bubba said...

The Sennheisers are great. My last pair died when they encountered my wife and a vacuum a few short weeks after she'd destroyed the tape player in the car and both motors in my dual cassette deck. Nobody had ever told her that pushing stop before pushing rewind was wise.