Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Peas In A Pod

"You wouldn't believe how gullible my son is," said the father of one of the players on the All Star team. We were having a beer at his house after a game.

"I might," I replied. During that evening's game I'd convinced the kid his stomach was going to be amputated because he'd used it to block a hard ground ball. "Think how much money your parents will save on food," I'd told him.

"No, really, listen to this," his dad said. "When he was in second grade I told him he was black."

I looked across the backyard where his red-headed, freckled son and my youngest were playing catch. The two whitest kids in America. "Like Steve Martin in 'The Jerk'?" I asked.

"Exactly," said his dad. "Then I forgot about it. Two years later his fourth-grade essay was 'My Life as a Black Child in America.'"

The bar has been raised.

4 comments:

fish said...

He can hang out with Jim Watson and discuss what it is like to be oppressed by the Man.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Wow. AG clearly knew she was white. Suppose it was the servants we had as children and the fact they were not...

Jennifer said...

I might be gullible, but I don't for one second believe this is the one and only Snag!

This post had elements of Snag and yet something was missing... possibly the post-odeur of meat.

Righteous Bubba said...

Attention nillas.