Monday, January 5, 2009

Cheers

As a former resident of the Lone Star State, watching Texas beat "The" Ohio State University was painful enough on its own.

Oh look, what else is on TV? Wristcutters, a hilarious film about the purgatory awaiting those who commit suicide.

The result. Ten sad lyrics I can think of offhand without ending up in purgatory myself. Old guy version.

1.
Love, love will tear us apart, again

2.
Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own

3.
I need another place
Will there be peace?
I need another world
This one's nearly gone


4.
Closing time, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here

5.
The powers that be
That force us to live like we do
Bring me to my knees
When I see what they've done to you


6.
I cried
Never gonna hold the hand of another guy


7.
"Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though I knew she was sleeping
I'm empty and aching and I don't know why


8.
When she came to the hospital, there wasn't much left
He was running out of road, he was running out of breath


9.
Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone
Susanne the plans they made put an end to you

10.
I'm near the end, and I just ain't got the time
Oh, and I'm wasted, and I can't find my way home

8 comments:

Vercingetorix said...

And when you're REALLY old here's a pleasant earworm sung by a condemned man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mX7ugJ5NM8

fish said...

I love that Joy Division song.

Brando said...

TLB and I watched Wristcutters and laughed at how indie-by-the-numbers it was. Cool concept, boring execution. I hate to see a perfectly good idea get thrown away like that.

Very nice list. For some reason I can see you waking up to "Back on the Chain Gang" every morning....

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Nice stuff. All that's missing is some Cure.

Anonymous said...

ah joy division - what an ironically awesome band name.

hope you feel better snag!

Snag said...

Yeah, I'm a real bowl of laughs around here. Nothing a good night's sleep won't cure, if I ever get one.

fish said...

a good night's sleep

What is this mythical thing that you speak of?

Kathleen said...

Awesome post. I can't listen at work because I am temporarily sharing an office, and I don't want to spark an intervention.